Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The Bible as a textbook - Chapter 5

The Bible should not only be the childs first textbook but ours also. Mothers need strength from God everyday to be able to do their task successfully and the Lord had provided such beautiful promises in His word for us. These are some of my favourites:

God will give you strength to care for your family
"Let Asher be blessed with children... and as they days, so shall thy strength be." Deuteronomy 33:24,25

God will help you with your young:
"He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with His arm, and carry them in His bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young. Isaiah 40:11

God is watching over you and your family:
"Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee. Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me." Isaiah 49:16

God won't let you drown:
"Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mineWhen thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee." Isaiah 43:1,2

When you feel exhausted and discouraged
"I will not forget your work and labor of love." Hebrews 6:10
 "And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not." Galatians 6:9

When you are distracted by the world and are losing focus:
"And I sent messengers unto them, saying, I am doing a great work, so that I cannot come down: why should the work cease, whilst I leave it, and come down to you?" Nehemiah 6:3

"Let thine eyes look right on, and let thine eyelids look straight before thee." Proverbs 4:25

For all those times when you need the Lords strength:
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Phillipians 4:13 

The Lord has also filled His word with blessings for us.

"Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate." Psalm 127:3-5

When a mother is fulfilling her mission: "Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her." Proverbs 31:28 

A couple of years ago I was studying through a motherhood manual which had a wonderful suggestion. The suggestion was to go through the book of Proverbs and categorize each verse so that when your child needed guidance or reproof you had on hand a resource that would help greatly. I have laminated this resource and gone to it many times. It truly has been a blessing. Instead of my own words, I am now using Gods own words. You may download the resource here.

We have read in this chapter that the most important work that we do is to teach our children that the smiles of Jesus are of greater value then the praise of man. This is a VERY important work, and also a continual work. We naturally like to have the approval of others and friendship of all, but we need to fight this desire when it contradicts the law of God. We need to speak to our children of this often, and they must see us also live by the same principles.

One of my children are naturally timid, so I found the information on this subject wonderful. Yes it is very true that for a timid child they need to sense the nearness of Gods presence so that they feel secure. The story suggestions are wonderful and I look forward to reading them with my children. We will be claiming the promise: "The angel of the Lord encampeth round about them that fear Him, and delivereth them." Psalm 34:7

We must keep in mind that our children will not always be with us so we need to prepare them for those times. We must teach our children the commandments in a practical way so that they will become "rule of their life" and will be a blessing to them throughout their lifetime.


ACTIVITY:


  1. Find a promise and a blessing that is relevant and uplifting to you and claim it everyday.
  2. Talk to your child this week about the importance of receiving Jesus' smile on all the things we say and do.
Please find next weeks study guide here

Blessings from our home to yours.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Melissa. The Proverbs resource you provided a link too is no longer viewable there, may I kindly have a new link for the same?

    ReplyDelete